R.I.P - Star wars Gaming.

Discuss other games with other officers of the fleet.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral
STO Handle: @Alexraptor

R.I.P - Star wars Gaming.

Post by Alexraptor »

The closure of LucasArts was bad enough, but now the worst thing imaginable has happened to the IP.

EA has recieved exclusive rights to publish future Star Wars games. :(
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ ... me-license
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: R.I.P - Star wars Gaming.

Post by EVOXSNES »

I'll just run down to my local church and light a candle.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

Hopefully.

And this is a big hopefully. If they do create a new star wars game. It actually is the new Battlefront game. On the frostbite engine, it might actually be a good game.

Might.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

I just miss the style of games they produced in the late 90's and early' 2000's. Newer games don't appeal to me all that much. I miss the simple fun of a strategy game like RON or a FPS like Half-life. (Or Armada and Elite Force).

Everything is online now, I also miss games which had nice single player campaigns (like Bridge Commander). I honestly have no interest anymore at playing games like BF3 where you are most likely to get your ass kicked by those who play 24/7.

I don't like STO much either, I don't like it's feel, that game tries to be everything and ends up being nothing.
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

You're all doom and gloom Alex, but The Old Republic is pretty good is it not?
Hartley
Captain
Captain
STO Handle: Kell Perim@M.Hartley

Post by Hartley »

I hope DICE make Star Wars Battlefront 3 with the frostbite 3 engine, ill know ill be happy :D
Kind regards,

Hartley
Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral
STO Handle: @Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

SWTOR is mediocre at best, and has not exactly been a critical success either.
To be honest, tried it for a few days but got bored with it pretty quickly.

Problem is, its EA.
Which means you know its going to be bogged down with microtransactions and DRM
In fact they will probally only sell very basic Star Wars games for full price and make us pay extra for DLC to get the full experience, like they did with BF3.

EA destroyed the C&C franchise and they destroyed the SimCity franchise as well with abominations such as SimCity Societies and SimCity(2013)

And when they aren't doing that, when competent people like BioWare are actually working on something good, then EA interferes with the creative process and puts time constraints forcing them to publish unfinished products with half-assed last-minute endings like they did with ME3.

EA has even stooped so low as to actually outright "scam" their paying customers.
http://gamingbolt.com/ea-ripping-off-ba ... free-users

EA getting exclusive rights to Star Wars was the worst thing that could possibly ever have happened to the Star Wars gaming franchise.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Artful wrote:You're all doom and gloom Alex, but The Old Republic is pretty good is it not?
Haven't tried it. I never really know which game to try. I just like being the annoying old guy that claims everything used to be better in his prime.

But I will give Old Republics a try, you're not the first who has mentioned this game to me. Do you know where I can get it?
Thank you,
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

Picard wrote:I just miss the style of games they produced in the late 90's and early' 2000's. Newer games don't appeal to me all that much. I miss the simple fun of a strategy game like RON or a FPS like Half-life. (Or Armada and Elite Force).

Everything is online now, I also miss games which had nice single player campaigns (like Bridge Commander). I honestly have no interest anymore at playing games like BF3 where you are most likely to get your ass kicked by those who play 24/7.

I don't like STO much either, I don't like it's feel, that game tries to be everything and ends up being nothing.

I Hear you. It seem the classic game may have had its day. Even Crysis and Elder Scrolls are going the MMO route in the future.