View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2019, 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Want to buy a Destroyer? 
Author Message
Visitor
Visitor
User avatar

Joined: June 19th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Posts: 634
Location: Los Angeles, California
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
EVOXSNES wrote:

Or... One Destroyer, right now. Impulse buy i guess.

Its like that argument where people refuse to purchase a V8 based on fuel economy. If you're buying a V8, you don't care about the price of fuel. :bouaaaaah:


No, I'm just saying $2,500 is a lot to ask for when the game hasn't even come out yet. All they've shown were smokescreens like being able to walk around a hanger or Arena Commander.

Quite frankly, I prefer the bigger capital ships and if they ever get around to selling that one ship they show in those videos that's always launching fighters I'd probably buy it. Heck, I almost bought that $350 exploration ship and a pledge package.

Then I realized I was about to spend $400+ not only for an Internet Spaceship but on a game that hasn't had one real piece of tangible evidence that it is nothing more than a pipe dream. And I'm not exactly the person who plays games.

That's quite a bit different than buying an 8 cylinder vehicle. You buy a V8 if you want [or need] the power just like you buy a Tesla if you want [or need] to feel better about your "green footprint" even though most energy in the United States isn't even generated by truly clean power. That's irony.

Though the P85D and the P85 drive so well I was tempted to get one. ~200 miles is pretty good for an electric car. Until you realize the battery goes bad like every 10,000 miles. :ka_boom:

_________________
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command

Image

Image


December 2nd, 2014, 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Posts: 1866
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Well I splurged, as I did the pledge package for the hornet and the Arena Commander token, but that is it until I see something more tangible.

Anyone lse play in the arena?

_________________
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Image
Image


December 2nd, 2014, 8:47 pm
Profile
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
User avatar

Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2959
Location: Leicestershire, England
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Janeway wrote:
  • $2,500 is likely the approximate value of Costello's current suit should he have some decent fashion sense


Fashion fades, style is eternal.

_________________
Respectfully,
ImageImage


December 3rd, 2014, 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: June 5th, 2012, 9:08 pm
Posts: 412
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
I am honestly expecting something along the lines of EVE Online and Freelancer, combined. I'll pay when I see it.

_________________
Image
Image


December 3rd, 2014, 1:11 am
Profile ICQ
Admiral
Admiral
User avatar

Joined: June 7th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Posts: 1866
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Well, you can engage in dogfights. Seems similar to BC

_________________
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Image
Image


December 3rd, 2014, 2:22 am
Profile
Commander
Commander

Joined: July 2nd, 2011, 11:03 am
Posts: 2081
Location: La Trobe Valley, Australia.
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Janeway wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:

Or... One Destroyer, right now. Impulse buy i guess.

Its like that argument where people refuse to purchase a V8 based on fuel economy. If you're buying a V8, you don't care about the price of fuel. :bouaaaaah:


No, I'm just saying $2,500 is a lot to ask for when the game hasn't even come out yet. All they've shown were smokescreens like being able to walk around a hanger or Arena Commander.

Quite frankly, I prefer the bigger capital ships and if they ever get around to selling that one ship they show in those videos that's always launching fighters I'd probably buy it. Heck, I almost bought that $350 exploration ship and a pledge package.



The success of Star Citizens crowd funding does play on emotion. Chris Roberts admits to this.

You're asking for a finished product for $2,500? Its a false expectation to receive that product when the game hasn't even been finished yet. It is still in development. We're privy to the glacier of information, Alpha modules etc to keep development going and to expand into areas where traditional development wouldn't go.

This is why we see Ships for strange prices. That is not what that ship is worth, not entirely. Its a pledge don't forget and the ship is something you get in the game once released.

Consider the closest thing to a Hospital Ship in SC. The Cutlass Red. Medical props and the immersion that will go into it, as well as the relevance of keeping your character alive. It is all going beyond the patronising 'Medic Bag' in Battlefield or just 'catch your breath' in Call of Duty. Having said that, the developers want to strike a balance between practical and what is enjoyable.

How long is their development cycle and contrast what they're developing, with Star Citizen.
They've hit the ground running with 'insert number' employed at DICE/Infinity Ward, while SC started with 3 people.

Chris Roberts began with a pitch for an idea, he wanted to raise enough to show interest for private investment. It was so successful he no longer needed any. The original estimate was 40 million but the project has been allowed to grow beyond that.

Today, 63 Million.

Either way i recommend "10 for the Chairman" and "Around the Verse" on youtube. All of them :)

_________________
Image
Image


December 3rd, 2014, 2:29 am
Profile ICQ
Visitor
Visitor
User avatar

Joined: June 19th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Posts: 634
Location: Los Angeles, California
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
EVOXSNES wrote:

The success of Star Citizens crowd funding does play on emotion. Chris Roberts admits to this.

You're asking for a finished product for $2,500? Its a false expectation to receive that product when the game hasn't even been finished yet. It is still in development. We're privy to the glacier of information, Alpha modules etc to keep development going and to expand into areas where traditional development wouldn't go.

This is why we see Ships for strange prices. That is not what that ship is worth, not entirely. Its a pledge don't forget and the ship is something you get in the game once released.

Consider the closest thing to a Hospital Ship in SC. The Cutlass Red. Medical props and the immersion that will go into it, as well as the relevance of keeping your character alive. It is all going beyond the patronising 'Medic Bag' in Battlefield or just 'catch your breath' in Call of Duty. Having said that, the developers want to strike a balance between practical and what is enjoyable.

How long is their development cycle and contrast what they're developing, with Star Citizen.
They've hit the ground running with 'insert number' employed at DICE/Infinity Ward, while SC started with 3 people.

Chris Roberts began with a pitch for an idea, he wanted to raise enough to show interest for private investment. It was so successful he no longer needed any. The original estimate was 40 million but the project has been allowed to grow beyond that.

Today, 63 Million.

Either way i recommend "10 for the Chairman" and "Around the Verse" on youtube. All of them :)


No, what I'm asking for is some tangible proof that the "persistent universe" is more than a pipe dream before I plop down half a grand on an internet spaceship. Especially when its competition: Excel In Space (I mean EVE Online) I can buy a carrier for the equivalent of ~$40. As discussed below: as a standalone item.

The individual ships like the destroyer and the new exploration ships aren't exactly pledges. They don't get you the full game or any of its associated "modules" as they like to call them. They are standalone items So when I buy that ship I'm not pledging. When I buy a pledge package which in turn gives me access to the entirety of the game, than I'm pledging. Otherwise I'm buying a singular piece of value added digital content.

I'm not against Star Citizen, I just don't exactly play games much and when I do I'm very selective and when I find people buying standalone ships for $2,500 I find it idiotic and wonder what the game population will be besides those in FC.

There's a saying in the Excel In Space community: "when one leaves EVE Online to play World of Warcraft, the total IQ of both games goes up."

I don't think either spend $2,500 on an internet spaceship though so what does that say about the people of Star Citizen?

Still going to buy it though, I'm just waiting for a decent capital ship to peak my interest. The non-capital exploration ship that they just introduced for $350 with life time insurance almost got me to purchase the game.

_________________
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command

Image

Image


December 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
User avatar

Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2959
Location: Leicestershire, England
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Janeway wrote:
(Unimportant drivel)


Don't you read PMs?

_________________
Respectfully,
ImageImage


December 3rd, 2014, 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Joined: July 2nd, 2011, 11:03 am
Posts: 2081
Location: La Trobe Valley, Australia.
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
Janeway wrote:
EVOXSNES wrote:

The success of Star Citizens crowd funding does play on emotion. Chris Roberts admits to this.

You're asking for a finished product for $2,500? Its a false expectation to receive that product when the game hasn't even been finished yet. It is still in development. We're privy to the glacier of information, Alpha modules etc to keep development going and to expand into areas where traditional development wouldn't go.

This is why we see Ships for strange prices. That is not what that ship is worth, not entirely. Its a pledge don't forget and the ship is something you get in the game once released.

Consider the closest thing to a Hospital Ship in SC. The Cutlass Red. Medical props and the immersion that will go into it, as well as the relevance of keeping your character alive. It is all going beyond the patronising 'Medic Bag' in Battlefield or just 'catch your breath' in Call of Duty. Having said that, the developers want to strike a balance between practical and what is enjoyable.

How long is their development cycle and contrast what they're developing, with Star Citizen.
They've hit the ground running with 'insert number' employed at DICE/Infinity Ward, while SC started with 3 people.

Chris Roberts began with a pitch for an idea, he wanted to raise enough to show interest for private investment. It was so successful he no longer needed any. The original estimate was 40 million but the project has been allowed to grow beyond that.

Today, 63 Million.

Either way i recommend "10 for the Chairman" and "Around the Verse" on youtube. All of them :)


No, what I'm asking for is some tangible proof that the "persistent universe" is more than a pipe dream before I plop down half a grand on an internet spaceship. Especially when its competition: Excel In Space (I mean EVE Online) I can buy a carrier for the equivalent of ~$40. As discussed below: as a standalone item.

The individual ships like the destroyer and the new exploration ships aren't exactly pledges. They don't get you the full game or any of its associated "modules" as they like to call them. They are standalone items So when I buy that ship I'm not pledging. When I buy a pledge package which in turn gives me access to the entirety of the game, than I'm pledging. Otherwise I'm buying a singular piece of value added digital content.

I'm not against Star Citizen, I just don't exactly play games much and when I do I'm very selective and when I find people buying standalone ships for $2,500 I find it idiotic and wonder what the game population will be besides those in FC.

There's a saying in the Excel In Space community: "when one leaves EVE Online to play World of Warcraft, the total IQ of both games goes up."

I don't think either spend $2,500 on an internet spaceship though so what does that say about the people of Star Citizen?

Still going to buy it though, I'm just waiting for a decent capital ship to peak my interest. The non-capital exploration ship that they just introduced for $350 with life time insurance almost got me to purchase the game.




Proof? Aside from relying on the consistent information given to us from various teams within CIG, track record of Chris Roberts himself, weekly video updates from developers, conventions and im sure much much more?

$500,000 worth of ships sold in a matter of days (200 Destroyers) is a good sign. Your fellow Saudi Arabian oil barons snapped those Destroyers up fast as lighting. Perhaps you're just a little upset you didn't get there fast enough ;)

What is a Carrier worth anyway. $4.5 billion for a Nimitz...$4,000 in Star Citizen... $40 in EVE? You get what you pay for.

_________________
Image
Image


December 4th, 2014, 3:55 am
Profile ICQ
Visitor
Visitor
User avatar

Joined: June 19th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Posts: 634
Location: Los Angeles, California
Post Re: Want to buy a Destroyer?
EVOXSNES wrote:

Proof? Aside from relying on the consistent information given to us from various teams within CIG, track record of Chris Roberts himself, weekly video updates from developers, conventions and im sure much much more?

$500,000 worth of ships sold in a matter of days (200 Destroyers) is a good sign. Your fellow Saudi Arabian oil barons snapped those Destroyers up fast as lighting. Perhaps you're just a little upset you didn't get there fast enough ;)

What is a Carrier worth anyway. $4.5 billion for a Nimitz...$4,000 in Star Citizen... $40 in EVE? You get what you pay for.


See, here's the thing: "Chris Roberts" means nothing to me. I have no idea who this person is. I see his name thrown around a lot about this game but I have no clue who he is. His name carries no weight with me. You're talking to a person that in reality knows very little about games - aside from the fact that people want me to play with them and I can buy them from Steam, Origin, UPlay, the Playstation Network Store, the Xbox Store, the Windows Store, or from Amazon and a few retail stores.

Oh, and that I have a stupidly overpowered computer that can pretty much play any game but that's not what I bought it for - it's a glorified media server hooked up to a 27" monitor and a Wireless HDMI transceiver that connects to a projector. I also know how to turn an Xbox One on and watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and many other apps. So... not exactly a gaming expert.

I'm not interested in that destroyer. Only two ships have peaked my curiosity. A $350 exploration ship and that green and grey ship they always show launching multiple fighters that has that huge bridge which I don't believe they have ever sold.

Though I do find their reasoning for why only 200 ships were sold rather flimsy at best because not everyone and their grandmother is going to fly the largest ship they can get their hands on. Some people like it small, some people like it big, and some people like it in the middle. So far they are just serving the small with a few middle. Their largest capital ship is a frigate so far. A frigate.

Why would I want a Nimitz-class when I can get that next generation US Carrier for a few billion more anyways? Unfortunately, SC doesn't have a diverse set of ships: just fighters, several [small] transports, and three capital ships that are still relatively small.

Get me a carrier or something bigger than a ~200 meter destroyer and don't sell in on a holiday where normal people are spending time with family and friends and I'll be happy :have_a_nice_day: .

_________________
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command

Image

Image


December 4th, 2014, 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software Modified by the Federation Command