Retirement of Picard and Jesse

Announcements from the Federation Command leadership to the community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council, Office of Propaganda

Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Retirement of Picard and Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Officers of Federation Command,

As the Judge Advocate General diligently pointed out, the presence of an active Executive Committee can be interpreted to render the Fleet Admiral's powers null and void. The Fleet Admiral was judged to derive his powers at the whim of the Executive Committee. Under this advisement, Artful has decided to remove his Fleet Admiral pips and surrender command responsibility as a sign of fealty to the Executive Committee (beloved by all).

Artful's action to render himself subservient, and to place the Fleet Admiral position in abeyance, is contrary to the Executive Committee's intentions. We wish for Artful, and successor Fleet Admirals, to have unambiguous command authority over Federation Command. So that they may have the full chance to develop FC's potential, as Picard and I have enjoyed in various forms over the previous 10 years.

The duality of the Executive Committee is both to command the Fleet, but also to protect it from deviating from its founding principles. In other words, to protect it from predatory Fleet Admirals and Councils. To protect it from the same fate that ended the United Federation of Planets. Picard and I take this second duty most seriously. Consequently, we cannot condone, now or ever, a constitutional amendment to limit the Executive Committee's powers, or grow that of the Fleet Admiral. It would be contrary to our primary responsibility, and to the very reasons FC was founded.

We believe that our best remaining option is to align ourselves more completely with the exact wording of the Constitution. Clearly, Artful feels a situation in which his power is derived from the Executive Committee, and not the Constitution, is an impedance to his own ability to command this Fleet. Today, we address this.

Picard and I hereby retire from Federation Command, and designate Artful as Fleet Admiral successor. If Artful no longer feels up to the challenge and great opportunity of commanding this Fleet, then designation of the Fleet Admiral shall follow the procedure outlined in the constitution. I believe this would make Admiral Exeter next in line. I have full faith in either officer to be a fine Fleet Admiral.

As a final Executive Committee ruling, Picard and I grant ourselves - by act of policy - continued full forum admin access (founder level) and full FTP access so that we may carry out our vigilance and decide if the EC needs reactivating once more. We will maintain membership in the "Executive Committee" group for security reasons, but it will no longer define us. As such, we have appointed ourselves to the Privy Council, and set this as our default group. So that we can advise Future Fleet Admirals as required.

The Fleet Admiral is now free to make decisions in the name of Federation Command without fear of Executive Committee contradiction. As such, the Executive Committee places the full burden of command, responsibility and accountability directly on the Fleet Admiral's shoulders. May the Fleet Admiral have the strength to bear it and to bring FC to new heights.

Executive Committee signing off,

Fleet Admiral Jesse
Fleet Admiral Picard

p.s. this announcement will "unstick" after 7 days.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Retirement of Picard and Jesse

Post by EVOXSNES »

I know you guys aren't really leaving but i'd like to say...

I've spoken with both of you recently, i consider you both to be wise, thoughtful and plain awesome.
You have my respect. My apologies extend to both of you, especially when i've been a pain in the arse over the years, not to mention most recently. Im sorry for that, i realise that there is still much to learn and i want to.

Im glad no one is leaving. I still miss the old days though. Is Nostalgia a Vice or a Virtue.
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Thanks for your kind words Evox. Nostalgia is the glue holding FC together. But we need to aspire to be more than that.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

Thank you both for your timeless efforts you have put into [FC].

This is not a goodbye but I certainly hope that either of you will never feel the need to take command again. [FC] is safe with us.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Let me venture to say that no one has conformed more strictly or more faithfully to the letter and spirit of our Constitution and the foundations on which this glorious fleet was founded, than you and Picard have. In fact, you have voluntarily made a sacrifice for the peace and strength of this glorious fleet which goes far beyond the bounds required by Policy and the Constitution. I'm confident that there would have been brought a solution over time to resolve this structural command problem. Whether there was any hope or not is a mystery which, at the present time, it's impossible to resolve. I accept wholeheartedly that the decision taken by you and Picard has been freely, voluntarily and spontaneously, in your own time and in your own way. As holder of the Honourable Office of the Judge Advocate General, I have been looking at this matter - as is well known - from an angle different from that of most fellow officers, I thought it my duty to place this fact also upon the record.

I hope that all officers present will bear with me, because it was many years ago that I, as the first Judge Advocate General then, stood beside Jesse and Picard at the creation of Federation Command and many of our old friends have honoured this path. In you, Jesse and Picard, there are discerned qualities of courage, of duty, of sympathy, and above all, of sincerity. Qualities rare and precious which have made your long holding of the position of Executive Committee memorable in the annals of this glorious fleet. Although our hopes today are withered, still I will assert that the personality of you and Picard and the influence you have had, will not go down uncherished to future generations, that it will be particularly remembered by all officers and future officers to come, and that they will ever wish form the bottom of their hearts for your private peace and happiness and for the happiness of those who are dear to you then.

Some other Star Trek fleets say that our glorious fleet has reached the height of its glory and power, and that now we shall begin to decline, as Babylon, Carthage and Rome declined. Do not believe these croakers but give the lie to their dismal croaking by showing by our actions that the vigour and vitality of our glorious fleet is unimpaired and that our determinations is to uphold the foundations upon which this glorious fleet was founded. Let us endeavour to fortify our glorious fleet and to give to Fleet Admiral Artful and his successors to the Office, that strength which can only come from the love of a united and glorious fleet!

Glory! Glory! Glory!
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Shroombuck wrote:Let me venture to say that no one has conformed more strictly or more faithfully to the letter and spirit of our Constitution and the foundations on which this glorious fleet was founded, than you and Picard have. In fact, you have voluntarily made a sacrifice for the peace and strength of this glorious fleet which goes far beyond the bounds required by Policy and the Constitution. I'm confident that there would have been brought a solution over time to resolve this structural command problem. Whether there was any hope or not is a mystery which, at the present time, it's impossible to resolve. I accept wholeheartedly that the decision taken by you and Picard has been freely, voluntarily and spontaneously, in your own time and in your own way. As holder of the Honourable Office of the Judge Advocate General, I have been looking at this matter - as is well known - from an angle different from that of most fellow officers, I thought it my duty to place this fact also upon the record.

I hope that all officers present will bear with me, because it was many years ago that I, as the first Judge Advocate General then, stood beside Jesse and Picard at the creation of Federation Command and many of our old friends have honoured this path. In you, Jesse and Picard, there are discerned qualities of courage, of duty, of sympathy, and above all, of sincerity. Qualities rare and precious which have made your long holding of the position of Executive Committee memorable in the annals of this glorious fleet. Although our hopes today are withered, still I will assert that the personality of you and Picard and the influence you have had, will not go down uncherished to future generations, that it will be particularly remembered by all officers and future officers to come, and that they will ever wish form the bottom of their hearts for your private peace and happiness and for the happiness of those who are dear to you then.

Some other Star Trek fleets say that our glorious fleet has reached the height of its glory and power, and that now we shall begin to decline, as Babylon, Carthage and Rome declined. Do not believe these croakers but give the lie to their dismal croaking by showing by our actions that the vigour and vitality of our glorious fleet is unimpaired and that our determinations is to uphold the foundations upon which this glorious fleet was founded. Let us endeavour to fortify our glorious fleet and to give to Fleet Admiral Artful and his successors to the Office, that strength which can only come from the love of a united and glorious fleet!

Glory! Glory! Glory!
Very kind words, thank you.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Thank you, both of you.

This was a contentious issue, and it may have dragged along mired in legislation reform, but instead the nobler path was chosen. The representation of authority in the fleet is no longer shrouded in confusion, it is assiduously clear and now the opportunity for me to reign is unhindered.

There is no doubt, that you two are the benchmark for commanding with judgment and humility within our fleet's collective history. It is to that end, my wish that people regard me in the same fashion, with time. As always, I shall be ever appreciative of your counsel and input in the Privy chambers.
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Post by Kaito »

Much respect to you both. Thank you for everything you have done for FC.

Live well, see you on the forums

Ben aka Kaito
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Twisted
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: Twist@tripz12

Post by Twisted »

Live long and prosper Picard and Jesse. It's your wise decisions that made Federation Command as it is today.

Don't be strangers
Signed,
Snr Captain Twisted

Academy Dean
Kelbie
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @Charlie25

Post by Kelbie »

Thank you Jessie & Picard. It's been an honor working with you guys for the past 5 years, and I wish you all the best for the future 2014!