Upcoming elections EU

A place for visitors to drop by and say hello.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Upcoming elections EU

Post by Shroombuck »

Who's going to cast a vote in the upcoming elections for the European Parliament? I'm usually a Tory supporter myself, but this time I will vote for Nigel Farage and his UK Independence Party (UKIP). Why? 1) Because they stand for free trade, not a political union and they recover power over our national life. 2) Because when showing us around in the parliament-building, Farage lit-up a cigarette and said: 'never ask for permission; just do things and apologise afterwards. It works terribly well.' We then had a beer in some dilapidated Belgian knock-off of a glorious English pub.

That's how we role. Epic!
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Upcoming elections EU

Post by Shroombuck »

roll, obviously.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

I will be voting (although my ward is not up for election, nor my borough) and will be voting Tory - I hear what you say about UKIP, and it's tempting, but I fear that a vote for UKIP is a vote for Labour in general and council elections. I am aware that the EU elections are representational but I don't want to send the message to Labour that they are going to win in the generals.
Also, I just can't take Farage seriously and do feel it's better to be in the EU where we at least have a vote and some veto rights. Being outside it there would be nothing stopping a "UK tax" being introduced which we would have no say over.
I'm probably worrying about nothing but until UKIP has a strong representation inside the country I don't see the point giving them a strong representation in the EU.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

UKIP is an attractive choice, but I have met a fair number of women that are pleasant on the eyes but vacuous at the core. Their stance protects the image of a national identity, but that is an idealistic notion. Farage has it in his mind that turning away from Europe is wholly advantageous without considering the repercussions of isolating ourselves.

We require an EU representative with strength. Not one that will take a seat and nod, and not one that wants to jump ship entirely. Conservative is probably the only option, given this situation.
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Oh i'd vote for the german guy. They are the ones with the most recent experience running a united Europe. And they would invest in nice wide roads to connect Berlin with Belgium with Paris. I like wide roads.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Jesse wrote:Oh i'd vote for the german guy. They are the ones with the most recent experience running a united Europe. And they would invest in nice wide roads to connect Berlin with Belgium with Paris. I like wide roads.
Yes and someone could finally take care of the Ukrainian and Russian problem once and for all. Lebensraum & Operation Barbarossa II FTW.
Thank you,
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

Funnily enough I voted Lib Dem in the end - and my area was the only one in the UK to elect a Lib Dem MEP so clearly I wasn't alone.

This "let's leave Europe" rhetoric that seems very popular at the moment worries me a lot. The statistics show that the areas with the least economic migrants most want migrants out and the areas with high economic migrants like them and want to stay in Europe. Clearly the electorate doesn't know its arse from its face.