Day of Rememberance: September 11, 2011

A place for visitors to drop by and say hello.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Day of Rememberance: September 11, 2011

Post by Resistance »

To all forum visitors, all Federation Command members, officers, and command staff, and all people of the planet:

September 11, 2011 is a day that will live on forever in the minds and hearts of the world. Many people died on September 11th. This day, the anniversary of September 11th, is a day of remembrance. I call upon you all to give some type of offering for the families affected by the tragedy of September 11th, and, most of all, never ever forget.

In addition to this tribute thread, I am linking a youtube video which I found which is what I call a nice tribute to September 11th, 2011. While the video was posted in 2007 to YouTube, 6 years after 9/11, the thought put into the video remains.

(This small tribute thread is written by an American Citizen. Please all, regardless of your nationality, offer a prayer or other form of tribute for the families of those who died in the September 11th attacks on the United States of America)

(temporarily stickied by Rear Admiral Resistance - stickyness will be removed on September 13th, 2011).
Resistance
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Day of Rememberance: September 11, 2011

Post by Costello »

You shouldn't assume we're all religious. Prayer is not something I do.

I paid tribute in my own way.
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

its also Red, White and Blue Not Blue White and Red.
Resistance
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Resistance »

The next FC person to criticize my post will get slapped, then thrown into the evilness that is the linux /dev/urandom file
Resistance
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

lol then im going to throw you into the evilness that is /dev/null/
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

I am humbled in front of the events of 9/11 and the sacrifices that ensued to protect freedom and democracy.
Thank you,
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

None of us will ever forget where we were or what we were doing when, on that otherwise ordinary day and out of a clear blue sky came so much premeditated death and destruction on a scale and in a way that shocked the entire world. But at the heart of all those endless and rather impersonal news reports lay the shattered lives and hopes of all those whose loved ones were so cruelly, brutally and pointlessly torn from them. That was ten years ago, and for so many of those left behind it must be an eternity; a continuing, awful agony that has to be endured day by day.

To say that we understand; that we sympathise; that we hold those whom lost loved ones in our thoughts and prayers is true, but I know it is hopelessly, utterly inadequate. We must somehow, find the strength to search for a more positive way of overcoming the evil in men's hearts. Of course, this is far easier said than done, and yet I find there are many of us who are not only tired of the perpetual killing, maiming and senseless terrorism that blights the human family, but bewildered by it too - simply because our instinct tells us that seeking revenge never actually achieves peace in the end. It is, surely, only by avoiding vengefulness that we can rebuild what has been lost and save it from being lost again.

Indeed, I recall that President Abraham Lincoln once spoke very powerfully of having "wasted valuable hours imagining revenge or confusion." He spoke of the practical importance of "a forgiving spirit" to dissipate anger and resentment. I can't help feeling he was right. For is it not strange that, although that dreadful act of violence was meant to divide us, it has actually drawn us together - one person to another, one community to another. As it has today. On the anniversary, we are drawn to those whom lost loved ones, in our thoughts and in our prayers, knowing that we cannot change the past, but that through struggling to find a light that can lighten the darkness we may ultimately bring the healing the world so desperately needs.