The beauty of Generations

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The beauty of Generations

Post by Costello »

The petty shit just doesn't matter does it?

This piece of music is what Trek is all about for me. The Federation ideal. No matter the severity of the darkness there can be found a glimmer of light, that the right path is not always the easy one. That sometimes you have to sacrifice paradise for something greater in importance, a sense of duty, responsibility, a promise you made to a crew the moment you took command. I don't know of any other franchise that instills this like Trek does. Picard gives up everything he ever wanted to avert a tragedy, to thwart the villain already knowing the cost and what he must endure. Soon after Picard finds Kirk and then follows the apex of this scene; the moment when Kirk jumps the ravine. The ravine he always feared and could never jump. Yet in the Nexus, he can. The moral is obvious, anything is possible if you desire it enough. The core values of Trek can be found within the Nexus scenes, and McCarthy's music is adequate in reminding you that everything will be alright as long as you stay true to your values and throughout TNG (proving Humanity against Q), DS9 (Holding steadfast in war and against political and religious influence) and even Voyager (Remembering Starfleet ideals while trying to find a way home) this message has been abundant and this piece of music is the embodiment of that principle. A masterpiece.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The beauty of Generations

Post by Shroombuck »

I don't think it was that beautiful at all.
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Post by Kaito »

I love Trek.....
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Shroombuck wrote:I don't think it was that beautiful at all.
I don't pay you to think.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Artful wrote:
Shroombuck wrote:I don't think it was that beautiful at all.
I don't pay you to think.
You don't pay me at all, hot lips.
Kelbie
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @Charlie25

Post by Kelbie »

This is one of the best soundtracks out of star trek. Generations was a good film and it was a little too emotional to say the least :P
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Kelbie wrote:Generations was a good film and it was a little too emotional to say the least :P
Aww... did you cry?
Delta
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Delta »

Shroombuck wrote:
Kelbie wrote:Generations was a good film and it was a little too emotional to say the least :P
Aww... did you cry?

Of course he did.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

This is a great movie, I didn't watch it many times because they kill Captain Kirk in it. But the new Star Trek movie should have been more like Generations.
Thank you,
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Generations is a holy movie. I remember seeing it when it first came out at the theatre. Even though I was so young I left the theatre in a kind of religious awe. It is second only to first contact in my opinion. Not that I think either movie is better than the other, it's just the theme of first contact resonates more with me.

Generations deals with personal struggle, and is a "change of the guards" from Kirk to Picard. First Contact deals with humanity growing up and making it to the stars, and the battle scenes don't hurt either. It also had a pretty cool theme song: