Scotish Referendum

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Scotish Referendum

Post by Picard »

Living in Quebec where we've had two referendums in 1980 and 1995, I can say independence has always been a matter of heart over reason.

Speaking from the outside I have to say I am a shocked by such a turn, it would be an humiliation for the United Kingdom. At one time the sun would never set on the empire, ever since WW2 the UK has suffered one humiliation after another. Loosing India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, the Australian republic referendum, so on. And now on your own island? It just seems to me that this would give a fatal blow to the UK weight on the international scene.

I think it's a foolish idea for Scotland to secede, I understand the historical motivations at play here but to think they'll manage because they have a bit of oil is foolish. They are better off with the UK than on their own. I hope the transfer of additional powers to the Scottish parliament will turn the tide.

Just think about the flag... what a tragedy it would be.
Thank you,
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Let us indulge in a little history and geographical lesson by prof. Shroombuck. I wish to clarify that when people say England or Scotland, they sometimes mean Great Britain, sometimes the United Kingdom and sometimes the British Isles but never England or Scotland. It's a cardinal sin, really.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (to give its full name) refers to the political union between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The UK is a sovereign state, but the nations that make it up are also countries in their own right. From 1801 to 1922 the UK also included all of Ireland. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are not part of the UK, but are Crown Dependencies. Great Britain is the official collective name of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with 'UK'. Technically, if you lose the 'Great', Britain only refers to England and Wales. The British Isles refers to the islands of Great Britain and Ireland (including the Republic of Ireland) and the 5000 or so smaller islands scattered around our coasts. While the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles, its people are not British.

To summarise:
  • United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
  • Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales + associated islands
  • British Isles = Islands of Great Britain and Ireland
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

Shroombuck wrote: To summarise:
  • United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
  • Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales + associated islands
  • British Isles = Islands of Great Britain and Ireland
Even worse is the other islands in the British Isles including the Isle of Man, Jersey etc.

This graphic does it quite well:

And watch this for a video introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Honestly, my explaination was far more clear than yours.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

David Cameron's heat will "Break" if the vote is won. Broken Heart little boy, can't feel no joy.

Cameron's got a broken heat, forced the Scots to part, so they tossed him on his tart.
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

I always thought the vestiges of the british empire would have the decency to wait until the old lady karked it before they started scattering like dogshit in a lit paper bag. That her formerly-imperial majesty might live to see the first act is magnificently decadent. Though, if the vote truly is neck-and-neck, I can't help but feel that the status quo will win on the day. Especially with the Queen's uncharacteristic public "no" endorsement. It is nevertheless a taste of things to come.

I for one look forward to an Australian republic. Actually, I think the more numerous the worlds governments, the more liberty we all have. I hope that Australia too fractures into state-by-state governments. And those too fracture into regional ones. And so on and so forth. Until all that remains is each person is only responsible for governing themselves and their dependents.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Individual self-government seems utopist don't you think. You saying that is like Stalin saying he completely endorses the free market economy. What's your real plan for world domination Jesse?
Thank you,
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

Picard wrote:Individual self-government seems utopist don't you think. You saying that is like Stalin saying he completely endorses the free market economy. What's your real plan for world domination Jesse?
Divide and conquer. :lol:
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

Picard wrote:Individual self-government seems utopist don't you think. You saying that is like Stalin saying he completely endorses the free market economy. What's your real plan for world domination Jesse?
New Zealand + Jesse... Well, it has to involve Sheep :D

Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Post by Kaito »

Im leaning towards Battle of the bands....

Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief