Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Post by Shroombuck »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

The murders yesterday in Paris are not a result of France's failure to assimilate two generations of Muslim immigrants from its former colonies. They're not about French military action against the Islamic State in the Middle East, or the American invasion of Iraq before that. They're not part of some general wave of nihilistic violence in the economically depressed, socially atomised, morally hollow West. Least of all should they be 'understood' as reactions to disrespect for religion on the part of irresponsible cartoonists.

They are only the latest blows delivered by an ideology that has sought to achieve power through terror for decades. It's the same ideology that sent Salman Rushdie into hiding for a decade under a death sentence for writing a novel, then killed his Japanese translator and tried to kill his Italian translator and Norwegian publisher. The ideology that murdered three thousand people in the Colonies on September the 11th in 2001. The one that butchered the Dutch Theo van Gogh in the streets of Amsterdam, in 2004, for making a film. The one that has brought mass rape and slaughter to the cities and deserts of Syria and Iraq. That massacred a hundred and thirty-two children and thirteen adults in a school in Peshawar last month. That regularly kills so many Nigerians, especially young ones, that hardly anyone pays attention.

Because the ideology is the product of a major world religion, a lot of painstaking pretzel-logic goes into trying to explain what the violence does, or doesn't, have to do with Islam. Some well-meaning people tiptoe around the Islamic connection, claiming that the carnage has nothing to do with faith, or that Islam is a religion of peace, or that, at most, the violence represents a 'distortion' of a great religion. Others want to lay the blame entirely on the theological content of Islam, as if other religions are more inherently peaceful; a notion belied by history as well as scripture.

A religion is not just a set of texts but the living beliefs and practices of its adherents. Islam today includes a substantial minority of believers who countenance, if they don't actually carry out, a degree of violence in the application of their convictions that is currently unique. Charlie Hebdo had been nondenominational in its satire, sticking its finger into the sensitivities of Jews and Christians too, but only Muslims responded with threats and acts of terrorism. For some believers, the violence serves a will to absolute power in the name of God, which is a form of totalitarianism called Islamism; politics as religion, religion as politics. 'Allahu Akbar!' the killers shouted in the street outside Charlie Hebdo. They, at any rate, know what they're about.

These thoughts don't offer a guide to mitigating the astonishing surge in Islamist killing around the world. Rage and condemnation don't do the job, nor is it helpful to alienate the millions of Muslims who dislike what's being done in the name of their religion. Many of them immediately condemned the attack on Charlie Hebdo, in tones of anguish particular to those whose deepest beliefs have been tainted. The answer always has to be careful, thoughtful, and tailored to particular circumstances. In France, it will need to include a renewed debate about how the republic can prevent more of its young Muslim citizens from giving up their minds to a murderous ideology; how more of them might come to consider Mustapha Ourrad, a Charlie Hebdo copy editor of Algerian descent who was among the victims, a hero. In other places, the responses have to be different, with higher levels of counter-violence.

But the murders in Paris were so specific and so brazen as to make their meaning quite clear. The cartoonists died for an idea. The killers are soldiers in a war against freedom of thought and speech, against tolerance, pluralism, and the right to offend; against everything decent in a democratic society. So my fellow officers, we must all try to be Charlie, not just today but every day.

Death to terrorism and long live the freedom of thought and speech!

Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Re: Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Post by Kaito »

Yes, Je Suis Charlie ~
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Well said. This is a copy of a post I made on my facebook account yesterday when I read about what had happened.

Ce n’est pas une attaque contre la liberté de presse. C’est un assaut sur la liberté de conscience, et de ce fait une agression contre chaque personne libre de penser dans le monde. J’ai confiance en nos cousins français qui trouveront dans cet acte haineux, l’opportunité de s’unir pour vaincre la radicalisation dans le respect des valeurs de la république. Liberté égalité fraternité. ‪#‎CharlieHebdo

This translates into:

This is not an attack on the freedom of press. This is an assault on freedom of conscience and therefore an aggression against every free thinking person. I have faith in our French cousins ​​who will find in this heinous act the opportunity to unite and defeat radicalization in accordance with the values ​​of the republic. Liberty, equality, fraternity. #CharlieHebdo
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

It's abhorrent. I don't even want to go too far into researching the specifics or asserting my opinion because I think it represents a growing tendency for the honesty of communication to be further repressed and controlled. This is why one should always speak their mind, for Charlie, for freedom.

They say a picture says a thousand words.

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

These people only have one weapon. Fulfilling their promise of a reign of terror makes them feel like a million bucks. Its probably comparable to George Bush (Jr) Standing on the deck of an Aircraft Carrier proclaiming, "Mission Accomplished".

These people won't stop wanting to feel this way. Its truth for them, its their liberty, fraternity, purpose and they're fighting for the people who build and attend Mosques, regardless of whether or nots its appreciated. Think of the Anti-Vietnam movements in the US.

These terrorist... Some are gullible, ignorant and so end up along for the ride and then indoctrinated. But mostly, i think its that they're bored. They're bored because some people just can't wait to do something so profound or substantial, they'll take any shortcut. Maybe they do flirt with the idea of martyrdom but i think some people just want to die for a cause.

Is that it and is that why this terrorism is a success. It probably looks like the last uncompromising cause left.

As for the 12 people who died. Im sorry about that and im sorry about the 80,000- to 200,000+ who die, every single day.