Think Tank - The Other Officers

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Hoss
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
STO Handle: Golemex

Think Tank - The Other Officers

Post by Hoss »

Making you stretch your brains and pull your hair from Cadet to Fleet Admiral... This is The Think Tank!!

Sometime you can't get enough of Star Trek am I right? Well... Sometimes you just do anyways, because using something like Netflix you have the options of other shows and worlds, so it's nice to have variety too. I finished some episodes on enterprise and DS9 and went to another series outside the Star Trek franchise. And although I don't necessarily like this series, I saw it as a child and I don't remember it so I decided I want to at least see the show since I don't remember any plot lines. Well I y the third season and almost wrapped up entirely, I thought to myself what am I going to watch afterwards? And yet I again go right back to Star Trek, at least while I'm falling asleep.
But before this other series had ended ( and yes I'm not saying it on purpose, though I know someone like Shroombuck will probably continuously poke me with a stick to get it out of me anyways), I kind of started thinking you know some of these characters aren't half bad, the stories are just terrible. I kind of want the series to keep going because I like some of these characters. ever find yourself in that situation?

So here's this Tanks question: From other franchises and shows, what would be some characters that would have made great Star Trek characters/ Officers? At the same time, can you think of a role that character would play in the Star Trek universe? Here's some of my thoughts to get us going.

Captain Oliver Hudson - Seaquest 2032, played by Michael Ironside. This actor played either a villain or a tough good guy role, and watching him on the short 13 episodes made me think of how he would have faired if it was on a starship instead of a submarine. I think we would be a captain of a medium tactical vessel, probably an Akira class.

Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica, played by Edward James Olmos. The only Admiral character I've ever seen actually in the thick of things. It was mostly in part of their own storyline, in which case they were fighting for survival as a race, but I would have liked to see an admiral actually stepping up like this guy and going into battles more often, not just someone giving orders or an admiral coming off as a rogue.

Garrus- Mass Effect series, playing this game I totally saw Garrus as a security Cheif on a starship or something like DS9. Although it came from a game, I loved the crew aspect you had in the franchise, as it felt like a story that would have done great in Star Trek.
Gregory House-House, Hugh Laurie. Oh come on... Now who would NOT want to see this guy as a doctor on a starport as aliens come in with problems and he gives them a sarcastic remark on how to not do it and then fix it.

Jack Carter- Eureka Sherriff, Colin Ferguson. I don't think he would be a good captain, but I think we would be an excellent first officer. Putting him as the main character in the show Eureka kept most of the stories around him of course, but I wouldn't really see m as a security chief or tactical officer despite holding a badge throughout the series. I do think though he would make a great second in command of a ship. His caring yet leadership attitude seems to be a great persona for command, but not quite as much as a Captain.

Here's a few that I've seen as I watched other shows, do you have any that would fit in our geeked out world of Tricoders and Starships?
Exeter
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Think Tank - The Other Officers

Post by Exeter »

I could see Darth Vader on a Klingon Battlecruiser. Hes style of command obey or die is perfect
// signed //
Admiral Exeter

Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Haha.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

This is a good question. Hmm.

A Starfleet officer has to have diplomacy, science, engineering, and tactical experience - in any role. Especially once they reach Lieutenant and above there is a significant chance of them running a starship, even if briefly, during night shifts or on smaller vessels so anyone picked from another lore must show these characteristics if they are to do a good job or be seriously considered within the Star Trek Universe.

Adama would definitely fit these, although I can't see him talking technobabble and his fear of computers (whilst justified with an enemy like the Cylons) wouldn't fit especially well on what is essentially a flying computer.

Picking Sci Fi's at random, Firefly presents no strong candidates - the renegade nature of the Browncoats is analogous to the Marquis but I can't see Mal being a Chakotay type character.

I would like to see a Doctor Who crossover where the Doctor would be a Q type character, minus the special powers, who arrives to tinker and tamper. Can't see any Officer grade characters here though.

Fox Mulder might make an interesting Security Chief - seeing conspiracies and alien tech everywhere.

I don't watch much Stargate but the training there seems similar - perhaps Dr Weir from Atlantis or even better, Rodney McKay, would fit the "wonderment of space" type of personality. McKay definitely would be excellent, although he'd likely end up a mix of the EMH and Barclay.

As effectively a parody of the formal structure of Starfleet I think the Red Dwarf crew would fit in - Rimmer always trying to remember Starfleet Directives and Kryten fighting with the computer to get given things to clean... hmm, it sounds less funny when written out.

But I'm convinced that Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap would make an excellent Captain..