Can Nigel Farage Become Prime Minister?

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Can Nigel Farage Become Prime Minister?

Post by EVOXSNES »

I don't think he can. Not in this election. What i mean by that is his recent history of being too extreme might work against him. He might be criticised/praised for residing on either side of the extremes but a leader should have a calming effect. He tends to want to shock instead of disarm with the reasonable.

The problem i think is that people watch the History channel, they've seen Discovery. They know what the Hitler's, Mussolini's and Stalin's sound like. If Cameron and Miliband where such unpopular choices. Why is Nigel not at the top? I think the reason for his recent success might be holding him back.

There is also another factor. People expect Labor or the Conservatives to win, not because they're popular but because they're the only ones running with the goal (or gaul) to win government.

Now i don't live in the UK but Nigel Farage has resonated with people across the world. But i wonder about the people with the power to vote, how they feel about Nigel and if its not too much to ask. What do you think and how would you vote?
Last edited by EVOXSNES on January 24th, 2015, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Can Nigel Farrage Become Prime Minister?

Post by Costello »

Farage has two distinct tendencies. He acts diplomatic and reasoned, and uses calming explanations to put across his ideas. Then there is his more belligerent image, which is when the hound escapes his leash and he uses statistics and data to try and hammer home a point.

With respect to this, he polarises people and his agenda is all-too transparent. He will not win this election.

Speaking as someone from the United Kingdom, I must be earnest and say all of the main candidates are completely woeful offerings from their respective parties. At this time it might take a great deal of coaxing to even get me to a polling station. Politicians do not keep their word.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Can Nigel Farrage Become Prime Minister?

Post by Shroombuck »

You know, the major political parties are struggling. I love Nigel Farage and his personality, because he stands out above all the others. I have voted Conservative all my life, hell my ancestor the 3rd Duke of Portland was a Tory Prime Minister for three years. We helped build that party, but quite frankly I just love a politician in a Barbour jacket, with a drink in his hand and a cigarette in his mouth; his attitude is: "fuck you! I will bring change and move this country forward."

Watch this documentary about him, you will love it.

Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Can Nigel Farage Become Prime Minister?

Post by Carbonizer »

With the current state of affairs when it comes to voting. Nigel just might become Prime Minister because there are those out there who I am sure, agree with alot of his bullshit just as much as I fell for the bullshit the Lib Dems threw out to ensnare students.

Right now, all you need to do is undermine the Lib-Cons, offer some bullshit to the working class and be charismatic. Instant Prime Ministerial post. Though, Labour have some work to do.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a man like this in Number 10?

We live by the pint.

We smoke some!

So, what topic are we debating about, Cameron?

God damn glory.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

Yeah, if I want to vote to see a sideshow fucking this country even more ? Sure. Ill throw away my vote.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

At this point, anyone is better than Cameron and co.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

Costello wrote:At this point, anyone is better than Cameron and co.
With the greatest of respect to my Countryman and commander, I disagree.

Looking at Miliband and Balls as the duo at the top frightens me enormously. I cannot see Obama or Merkel or even Hollande taking Miliband even remotely serious. If we are to stay even slightly relevant in Europe or the world we must have a leader that at least acts like a leader.

I totally agree that Cameron is likely "the best of a bad bunch" but I do believe he is the strongest candidate standing. It's my belief that if the Tories get another term we will all start to feel the benefits - employment seems more buoyant in my area than I've ever seen and transport is being improved appreciably. Miliband just doesn't care about the middle of the country and whilst Cameron has been too soft on the top, he's not been too hard on the bottom - baring a few cases relating to welfare reform which is always going to be tricky.

I don't think anyone else but George Osborne would have had the balls to hold course during the recession and get us out with so little extra debt. If the growth continues I wouldn't be surprised if history shines fondly on him, even if the public don't now.

However, I don't want a Tory government - the party /I/ want doesn't exist right now. Of the options available, Cameron and co look the most sane and least likely to crash our finance driven economy.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I was probably the only person in Berkshire to vote for the Lib Dems in the European elections...
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Warfire wrote:
Costello wrote:At this point, anyone is better than Cameron and co.
With the greatest of respect to my Countryman and commander, I disagree.

Looking at Miliband and Balls as the duo at the top frightens me enormously. I cannot see Obama or Merkel or even Hollande taking Miliband even remotely serious. If we are to stay even slightly relevant in Europe or the world we must have a leader that at least acts like a leader.

I totally agree that Cameron is likely "the best of a bad bunch" but I do believe he is the strongest candidate standing. It's my belief that if the Tories get another term we will all start to feel the benefits - employment seems more buoyant in my area than I've ever seen and transport is being improved appreciably. Miliband just doesn't care about the middle of the country and whilst Cameron has been too soft on the top, he's not been too hard on the bottom - baring a few cases relating to welfare reform which is always going to be tricky.

I don't think anyone else but George Osborne would have had the balls to hold course during the recession and get us out with so little extra debt. If the growth continues I wouldn't be surprised if history shines fondly on him, even if the public don't now.

However, I don't want a Tory government - the party /I/ want doesn't exist right now. Of the options available, Cameron and co look the most sane and least likely to crash our finance driven economy.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I was probably the only person in Berkshire to vote for the Lib Dems in the European elections...
You're entirely welcome to disagree. Too many err these days in trying to conform and not have an individual opinion. You are right in saying that Cameron is probably the strongest representative in terms of international politics, I do not know a single soul who can take Milliband seriously.

As for the defecit, it is a balancing act. The effects of austerity in terms of being a long-term positive change are not felt by the laymen, they are an almost intangible improvement. Perhaps your assessment will prove true if his resilience begins to have a lasting and noticeable impact.

But rightly identified, the real problem is that there is no party to vote for with any measure of enthusiasm. It's a net-loss game in determining who is going to have the lesser negative impact.
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Post by EVOXSNES »

Costello wrote:...the real problem is that there is no party to vote for with any measure of enthusiasm. It's a net-loss game in determining who is going to have the lesser negative impact.
Sounds like Federal and State politics in Australia. Not to mention the United States, Japan etc. The worlds voters seem unconvinced and polarised.. leaving their countries paralysed.