Anonymous to attack Facebook on Guy Fawkes Day

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Anonymous to attack Facebook on Guy Fawkes Day

Post by Silverado »

Hactivist group Anonymous is targeting another major enterprise this week and has announced that it will be targeting Facebook for a claim that the site is misusing all of the personal information it has gathered over time. Anonymous is known for its web hacks and attacks on companies that take advantage of consumers and their personal data.

Anonymous posted a YouTube video earlier this summer saying to Facebook, “Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed.” The video also invited viewers to “join the cause and kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy.” The speaker on the video says that everything users do on the site stays regardless of privacy settings and even deleting an account is impossible. By deleting your account, personal information stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. And to stir the pot even further, the group claims that Facebook has been selling user information to government agencies and giving it to security firms for espionage use.

Anonymous plans to undertake the social media site on November 5, which is Guy Fawkes Day, a commemoration of the Gunpowder Plot where Fawkes and others placed explosives under the British House of Lords in 1605, according to CNN.

While we’re not sure that the loosely organized group will be able to take down or slow Facebook’s site that hosts 750 million users, the hacktivist organization has an impressive list of take-downs from years past, including Sony’s PlayStation Network, Amazon, Master Card, PayPal, Visa and the Church of Scientology
Eagle Eyes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
STO Handle: @TNF_EagleEyes

Re: Anonymous to attack Facebook on Guy Fawkes Day

Post by Eagle Eyes »

time to back up photos... haah
Nani o Miru? Nani ga Aru? Mada Shiranai.
Kelbie
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @Charlie25

Post by Kelbie »

Facebook was obviously going to be next on the hacker's list.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Hot damn, now they'll have my holiday snaps from 2007... is nothing in this world sacred?!
jacob black
Visitor
Visitor

Post by jacob black »

This is y i dont use facebook. I never let anythin about me go online that is real.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

Good riddance.
Wh1skers
Commander
Commander

Post by Wh1skers »

That'd be why I've never put anything important on Facebook.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Craig, I have your address. If someone wanted to target a person on Facebook they would pick more reliable avenues. Though if you've ever made a purchase via Facebook, that was not a smart move.
Zion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Zion »

why i don't even have any kind of social network thing except Photobucket to upload my screens
Wh1skers
Commander
Commander

Post by Wh1skers »

Artful wrote:Craig, I have your address. If someone wanted to target a person on Facebook they would pick more reliable avenues. Though if you've ever made a purchase via Facebook, that was not a smart move.
That's not what I mean. People communicate on Facebook 24/7, often detailing the most significant things going on in their life. Most if not all of that information is stored permanently on their servers. I've never felt confident in the security of that, which is one of the reasons I've never used Facebook much.