Recent events and the situation with [SI]

Announcements from the Federation Command leadership to the community.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council, Office of Propaganda

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Recent events and the situation with [SI]

Post by Picard »

Greetings FC officers, honored guests, enemies of the state.

The last few days have been rather busy and I felt compelled to address the issue. This issue has been made public by one of our former officer who is seeking to discredit this organization. It is consequently only natural that we respond by a public statement of our own.

Vice Admiral Resistance became a member of this fleet after accepting a merger proposal, misleading us into thinking that his fleet had more than 2 active members, which it did not. We had agreed to give him a rather high rank because of extraordinary circumstances and mainly because he seemed like a trust worthy and dedicated officer. I point this out as relevant information because Vice Admiral Resistance did not earn his rank, and his actions reflect poorly on the rank and position of Vice Admiral which has taken for some over 3 years of work and dedication to get to. Let it be known that FC usually has higher standards for flag officers.

Nonetheless a few months after he first joined Resistance choose to resign, his reasons among others were the treatment he was receiving from certain officers. But instead of using proper channels he choose to resign and steal the STO fleet bank. Returning a few days later he apologized and vouched to regain the trust of those he betrayed. Yesterday, Resistance showed contempt to his comrades by resigning under false pretenses and asking for his resignation to be accepted "Right Now" waiving the 48 hours grace period that is common policy in all situations. So, yes, literally slamming the door. This of course triggered some emotional responses from a few of our officers.

Resistance even tried to pull the little weight he had left with me to get the said officer punished. Now while FC aswell as UFP have been known since 2002 as "professional" in our dealings with others there comes a time when frustration can get the better of us. And I must admit that after nearly a year of claim discussion with Mr. Resistance, trying to explain him the finer points of the social structure of a gaming organization I just told myself "the hell with it - Clearly this one is living in a parallel universe". This is a role playing organization, however role playing only goes so far and then comes real discussions and friendships. All our social interactions are of course influenced by emotions. This is the second time Resistance has betrayed this fleet, heated discussions were bound to happen. This situation can be blamed as much on the one who caused it than the one who reacted to it.

Later that day, our allies [SI] or so we thought decided to announce us they wished to cancel our Mutual Protection Pact in protest over this incident. And this even before using the proper diplomatic channels in order to try to understand the situation and the context. Rarely have I ever been involved in such "fake/small diplomacy". Then again given the poor state of the star trek community we do not have as much choice as we used to. The fact remains that had we been a few years earlier this diplomatic aggression would had been answered by the only appropriate action which is the cessation of all diplomatic contacts. Fleet Admiral Knight has chosen his personal friendship with Resistance over his MPP with Federation Command. It is the sovereign right of every fleet to choose who to have relations with. However, in a gaming community such as ours it is also our right to take the necessary steps to preserve our reputation and defend ourselves against those who would call themselves our friends only to betray us at the first opportunity. Since it is extremely unlikely that [SI] would defend its honor on the battlefield against us, having already suffered defeat at the hands of our players. The natural thing to do is simply to move on and continue to uphold the values and principles of the Star Trek community of old when fleets were lead by groups of experienced officers who understood the wisdom of respecting the finer points of diplomacy and taking time to understand and debate a situation before taking any action.

The simple fact that [SI] choose to take unilateral action against FC prior to contacting any FC representative clearly proves that [SI] cannot be taken seriously as a diplomatic partner. On behalf of the authority granted to me by the Executive Committee we announce that by the Federation Command SOPs the MPP pact will be rendered void in 48 hours at which point we will be free to change our fleet status to reflect the appropriate standing with [SI].

Thank you.
Thank you,
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Recent events and the situation with [SI]

Post by EVOXSNES »

A truly unfortunate turn of events.

It is such a shame that two men can delve in measures to create an artificial rift between two vital groups, to such an extent that all ties are severed. It damages the community for the sake of a purely personal and petty endeavour, which threaten to degrade the quality of our enjoyment.

Star trek gaming and the Sar Trek community will go on in spite of this, But the loss of a unity, no matter the scale, is such a waste.

I wish SI and Resistance well. I hope that they can improve and come back to the table.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

What we all must remember is that an enduring clan such as this one is forged on greater bonds than what self-interested affiliation can afford, we are a circle of friends that champion integrity, honour and professionalism. Perhaps in the STO era these lasting qualities are infrequent, but here at Federation Command they will always be paramount.

I do hope Resistance realises how vindictive and distasteful he was to the people that welcomed him with open arms and in doing so, learns something in the process. When two parties are at fault, the most insincere is the most fallible.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's Fleet and friends seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous. Resistance did the latter and not the former.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

Understood.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

Found out once we had already agreed to the merger terms, decided not to renegotiate because as you probably recalled we were working on a lot of things. The fact remains that during these negotiation I do recall him being extremely vague about how many members he had, no doubt to get the best deal possible.
Thank you,
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

Let the past be the past gents.
Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Picard »

I looked up my chat logs from the era, it appears you are right Kieran you did make it clear. As I said back then we were extremely busy so somethings are a blur. The pattern of behavior still fit, after long reading the logs Resistance did very much care about getting the highest rank possible (for himself). But this is really besides the point of this topic.
Thank you,
Silverado
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
STO Handle: @silverado_679

Post by Silverado »

It all starts with the man in the mirror.

R&U Sir.