Xbox One

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Xbox One

Post by Warfire »

Thought this would be a good place to consolidate some information about the Xbox One.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xboxone/meet-xbox-one for the official news.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/x ... -november/ for Ars Technica.

Release cost is $499, €499, or £429 which is pretty meaty. And mean to us Brits again! Australia.. well let's hope they have credit cards in Oz.

Console has to call home every 24 hours so if you lose internet or go somewhere no internety (I hate these places) you are stuffed. Can play using your account on another Xbox but have to call home every 1 hour.

Trading used games is going to be tricky - publishers can enable the option to trade in at AUTHORISED retailers. You can give to a friend but only once and only if that friend has been your Xbox Live friend for 30 days or more.

People are pissy about it! This made me feel a little better, once you get around the "OMG my disks are MY DISKS" and imagine them as a faster way to download a game it makes much more sense and is BETTER than we had before. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/m ... -policies/
Wh1skers
Commander
Commander

Re: Xbox One

Post by Wh1skers »

Terrible console. I shall not be giving Microsoft a penny.

Their attitude is that all consumers are thiefs until proven otherwise. Not to mention, if you don't have a broadband connection (1.5Mb/s +) you won't be able to connect online.

PlayStation 4 thank you.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

PC thanks.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

I absolutely understand why people are unhappy with it - but I think IF we see better prices on the online store than we do currently it will be a good thing. There was an unnamed Xbox dev quoted on Reddit earlier saying that Microsoft wants to be the Steam of consoles. Everything being said against Xbox One right now was also said against Steam, and now everyone loves it.

BUT they have to get the pricing right otherwise they will lose all credibility. Publishers should be happier with 3 sales at £15 than 1 sale at £45 since they have more chance of selling DLC etc to those 3 people. If however their eyes light up at the thought of 3 sales at £45.. well then it won't work and Microsoft will have to back track or will lose to PS4. However, if they get this right it means PS4 games will cost £45 and you can trade them, but Xbox One games cost £15 and you can't.. I know what I'd prefer.
Carbonizer
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Carbonizer »

I dont really see XboxOne coming back to top the market like they did with the 360, especially with this stuff about not being able to share games and stuff.

What kind of bs is that ? Plus, if I get a console, I dont want it to be listening for "Xbox On". If I turn it off, its supposed to be god damn off.
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by Warfire »

You can turn the listening off :)
Hartley
Captain
Captain
STO Handle: Kell Perim@M.Hartley

Post by Hartley »

The only thing I hate about the X1 is the price, everyone was thinking around the £350 mark and the silence when they said £429 was golden, but I still put in my pre-order when I got the chance, I have a good job, I have very good internet, I don't trade in game, I don't buy second-hand games, and I don't share games.
Kind regards,

Hartley
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

It seems to me that Microsoft are now geared towards multimedia entertainment whereas Sony is prioritising gaming. This will likely splinter the 360 player base. Do they want to kick back and eat spoonfuls of ice-cream while Netflix runs in the background, or find their kicks in graphical power with the PS4. The trouble for Microsoft is that PS3 users will almost definitely remain Playstation users.

The pricetag for the Xbox One is also ridiculous. $499 does not translate to £429. It does seem as if Xbox want to take the Steam route, but Steam offered something unique. There was no Sony looming in the background. Potentially a backwards step for Microsoft.

There is one real concern for me here though. Microsoft's behaviour seems extremely shady. What is great about console gaming is it can be casual. The restrictions Locutus of Gates (actually probably had zero involvement) has placed upon the console and how it uses its games has already convinced me against it. I don't want a multimedia system that imposes restrictions on the consumer. If I'm buying a console I do it to play great games whenever and wherever I decide.

Sony has won this round. That being said, I'm more or less done with consoles.
Wh1skers
Commander
Commander

Post by Wh1skers »

Actually, the Kinect's microphone cannot be disabled. The camera can, but Microsoft were very careful when discussing the topic to avoid speaking about the microphone.

And the differences between steam and Xbox One is massive. First of all a computer can have a practically infinite amount of storage space upon which to install games. Should your hard drive become full you need only upgrade it to a higher capacity one or stick in a secondary one. The Xbox One comes with a 500GB HDD which cannot be upgraded. The PS4 has a 500GB hard drive which can.

And I don't see Microsoft making the Xbox One similar to Steam in terms of sales, deals or quality. If anything, PlayStation Network is much more alike - PlayStation Plus provides users with continuous deals, sales and exclusive content as well as a monthly catalogue of games which are available free of charge. Here's a comparison of the free games available from both services:

PlayStation Plus
  • The Cave
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    LittleBigPlanet Karting
    Gravity Rush
    Catherine
    Malicious
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD
    Lord Of The Rings: War In the North
    Demon's Souls
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Rayman Origins
Xbox Live:
  • Halo 3
    Fable 3
    Assassins Creed 2
Even if you don't include Vita titles in that list, PSN vastly outnumbers XBL. It's sort of laughable, yet sad. The console costs more, the service costs more and you get less value in that service.
Vladimir
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade
STO Handle: vladimirnapunic

Post by Vladimir »

I'm going to get a Xbox One for the family, as my family has always gravitated around entertainment on the console c/f computer on the TV via HD cable.

I have had an Xbox since the original one, so probably best to continue the tradition :)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198006599579]Image[/url]