Black James Bond?

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Picard
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Black James Bond?

Post by Picard »

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30594460

So there is debate about whether being offended by a black person playing the iconic role of James Bond is racist. In all honesty, I am opposed to the idea, yet I do not feel in any way racist. James Bond is Scottish, it's always been like that.

There is a lot of racial tension in the United States, and it is quite unfortunate that black people are under represented in Hollywood. There should be more... but honestly... James Bond? There was a huge debate when Craig was casted because he has blond hair and blue eyes in comparison to the usual black hair. If this made news back then, it's rather far fetch to use the ''racist'' card in this instance.

This article honestly got me thinking about whether I am intolerant or racist. And I find it unfortunate that people, who think like I do in this case, would be branded as racists. I would be equally pissed if a ''white'' Captain Sisko was casted for a remake of DS9. Everything doesn't have to be used to make a ''social'' statement. What's next? James Bond being an homosexual(in the movie)? I am, yet again, in no way homophobic. But for fucks sake...

... I just don't get how this has anything to do with race. We should just have cloned Sean Connery.
Thank you,
EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: Black James Bond?

Post by EVOXSNES »

I agree and im really starting to think Amy Pascal (Sony Pictures CEO) needs to be hung by her knickers off Big Bens hour hand.

James Bond is unique. Its always the same man and it is successfully sold to us in that way thanks to no striking differences. Skin colour is the most differentiating thing you can do or be. Bond walks in. Suit, smile, Ladies and drinks (accessories) I can't imagine what it would look like. A Director trying to explain to the fans that James Bond pulled a reverse Michael Jackson.

I don't think it would make sense... it sounds ludicrous.

On the other hand... Imagine a Black bond. Take away the childish gangster/rapper stuff and just have a Black man who doesn't have a chip on his shoulder. Civilised, professional and capable.... wait.... I am having trouble remembering why we need a Black bond at all.

If James Bond is black. There should be a reason for it. You can imagine what M would say if James Bond walks in one day and she looks up at him and he's Black. M's going to have a coronary. - Or.. she could look up and not notice the skin colour. That is probably where it could be sold. Moment like that where in our minds there is a difference but then it turns out there isnt.

Closing thoughts.

I keep thinking about this 'struggle' for equality. I think the struggle isn't so much of a struggle any more, its more of a conversation now.

Chucking a Black man into the role for the sake of a Black man in the role. Isn't that racism? Doesn't that just highlight how commoditized Black people have become. Talk about coming full circle.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

I'm a hudge fan of James Bond and I own all the books written by Ian Fleming. He wrote a total of twelve novels and two collections of short stories, all written at his Jamaican home Goldeneye and published annually. Let's first conclude that Craig was a mistake to begin with. Secondly, we should stay true to the spirit of Fleming and how he envisioned James Bond. In the novel From Russia With Love, Fleming gave a discription of James Bond.
Name: Bond, James. Height: 183cm, weight: 76 kilograms; slim build; eyes: blue; hair: black; scar down right cheek and on left shoulder; signs of plastic surgery on back of right hand; all-round athlete; expert pistol shot, boxer, knife-thrower; does not use disguises.
Composer and pianist Hoagy Carmichael (1899-1981)

In other books, Fleming described Bond as looking like musician Hoagy Carmichael. As such, we have never gotten a screen incarnation of 007 who matches Fleming's description perfectly, and across 50+ years there has been quite a bit of variation. Black hair, brown hair, blonde hair. Blue eyes, brown eyes. Scottish, Welsh, Irish, even an Australian. The persona, too, tends to shift with each portrayal: Sean Connery's earthy, predatory swagger, Roger Moore's upper crust dandyism, Pierce Brosnan's sophisticated gentlemanliness, Daniel Craig's 'blunt instrument' interpretation. But whatever the variations thus far, there's a glaring commonality among these actors which clearly leaves Idris Elba out of the running. Of course it's trendy to shake up formula, and change things just for the sake of change, but someone needs to be unafraid to point out the obvious here. Making James Bond black will be a mistake. Why?

When Fleming wrote James Bond (from 1953-1964), the British Empire was in decline, but through his novels Fleming reassured us that it was still a crucial player, secretly saving the world from villains and madmen. In the novels James Bond looks down at women, homosexuals, and very much so at orientals and coloureds. Did you know that only one villain was British and that all others had complex ethnic backgrounds? While the cinematic Bond has never been quite as racist as his printed counterpart, the residue is there: Connery snapping 'Fetch my shoes! at Quarrel in Doctor No, and Moore using Indian street beggars as obstacles during a tuk-tuk chase in Octopussy. In the novel Doctor No, Fleming described the Chigroes (a portmanteau of Chinese + Negroes, referring to their mixed ancestry) and in chapter four of the novel Live And Let Die, he wrote on the race relations thus:
One used to go to the Savoy Ballroom (in Harlem) and watch the dancing. Perhaps pick up a high-yaller and risk the doctor's bills afterwards.
Chapter five is called 'Nigger Heaven'. Fleming's novels are fantasies of their time, but quite often, underneath his fascination with foreign cultures lied a xenophobic streak that betrayed a superiority complex. If Idris Elba is cast for the role, it will be more than a template shift, it will be a reinvention of the character and how Fleming envisioned it. Usually actors cast for James Bond are not that well-known, and by the time the role is vacated in 2017, Elba will be quite old, so I suspect Idris Elba will ultimately not play James Bond.
Jesse
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Jesse »

M wasn't a woman before Judi Dench. Yet she is an amazing actress and fits the role perfectly. To be honest, it depends on the attributes AND quality of the actor they cast as bond. I am quite interested to see what a black 007 would be like. If they try and bring black culture or racial issues along with him, then it will be the last bond movie I ever watch. Because that would truly spoil the bond character, and smell of desperation in pandering to a minority audience in the face of diminishing sales from the majority audience. And so I would do what the rest of the majority does and abandon the series. Let's wait and see.
Costello
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Costello »

If James Bond is to pander to modern tendencies to dispel with tradition, then he may as well be transgendered in a wheelchair drinking alcohol-free Martinis and checking his/her privilege every ten seconds.