These are users with publicly visible Facebook .......

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

These are users with publicly visible Facebook .......

Post by Kaito »

Im sure all of us know the cost of being connected some way, to a network of some kind...
I worry sometimes about others who don't know....

Link to Full Story:
Yet another Wake-Up Call About Facebook ( Internet, Network, Public... ) Privacy....

Summery:
Girls Around Me is a standard geolocation based maps app, similar to any other app that attempts to alert you to things of interest in your immediate vicinity: whether it be parties, clubs, deals, or what have you. When you load it up, the first thing Girls Around Me does is figure out where you are and load up a Google Map centered around your location. The rest of the interface is very simple: in the top left corner, there’s a button that looks like a radar display, at the right corner, there’s a fuel meter (used to fund the app’s freemium model), and on the bottom left is a button that allows you to specify between whether you’re interested in women, men or both.
These are all girls with publicly visible Facebook profiles who have checked into these locations recently using Foursquare. Girls Around Me then shows you a map where all the girls in your area trackable by Foursquare area. If there’s more than one girl at a location, you see the number of girls there in a red bubble. Click on that, and you can see pictures of all the girls who are at that location at any given time. The pictures you are seeing are their social network profile pictures.”
....as sleazy as this app seemed, Girls Around Me wasn’t actually doing anything wrong. Sure, on the surface, it looks like a hook-up app like Grindr for potential stalkers and date rapists, but all that Girls Around Me is really doing is using public APIs from Google Maps, Facebook and Foursquare and mashing them all up together....

John Brownlee (8:50 am PDT, Mar 30)
Cult of Mac web site
Im going to let some female friends know it exists....

~K
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

EVOXSNES
Commander
Commander
STO Handle: sulla@evoxsnes

Re: These are users with publicly visible Facebook .......

Post by EVOXSNES »

Dont worry :)
Its been castrated

Infact, backlash got so bad that they have rmoved the means by which the app generates its results. Which is as close to castration as its going to get since it cant extract information from facebook, google etc..