Computer Experts: Recommendations for a New Computer

Make yourself at home: this forum is for visitors and officers who enjoy humour and actuality, you are allowed to speak about anything here within reason.

Moderators: Starfleet Security, Federation Council

Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Computer Experts: Recommendations for a New Computer

Post by Janeway »

Your oh so coppery-tress former blonde friend is in the market for a new computer. You see, I was intending to purchase a more powerful computer than my Macbook Pro that I got for traveling but I never had the time to sit down and do some research to avoid the experiences I had with Dell. Three months turned into six months, a year, two years, and now we're almost at three. I purchased this computer when Core i7's in notebooks were a pipe dream in Intel's little head and the Core iSuper-Plus-Plus-Makes-You-Pancakes-Ultimate-Hyper-Fixer-Upper-Penis-Enlarger-Plus-Plus on a Creatively Named Bridge were just coming out. Don't get me wrong, this notebook works wonders for me while away but for an everyday computer its time has long since past.

I'm looking for a desktop obviously since I already have this notebook. A desktop that can last as long as my winning team of Core 2 Duo coupled with 4GB of memory has lasted me (think: since Core 2 Duo's first came out in notebooks). A good graphics card, Wireless N, Gigabit LAN, and the room for additional hard drives of the multi-terrabyte variety are also a must. Oh, and not be a Dell.

This wouldn't be a problem if every company in the book wasn't trying to sell you the new and improved Core iSuper-Ultra-Mega-Plus-Plus-Makes-You-Eggs-Bacon-Pancakes-Utlimate-Penis-Enlarger-Vaginal-Massager-Orgasmic-Inducing-Picks-Out-Your-Own-Dress-Puts-On-Your-Own-Boots-Turns-Gay-People-Straight-Gives-Virgins-Their-First-Time-Hyper-Plus-Plus K Edition with liquid cooling so those who are comparing their virtual penis and have an erection lasting more than four hours can easily have the issue fixed.

So far, I've only got a few things nailed down as a result of the above:
  • Core i5 3570K Overclocked to ~4.7Ghz - Because apparently no one just buys a normal processor anymore; everyone has to try and inch out their virtual penis that much further...
  • GeForce GTX 670, 660Ti, or the Radeon HD 7950 - Because when I say a "good graphics card... one better than the Radeon HD 6850" computer companies really heard "the second best graphics card in the world..."
  • 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of Memory - I have nothing sarcastic to say here...
  • 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD + Room for 2 or 3 more - Because when I said I needed room for additional hard drives it translated to "an SSD so I can experience that .00001 millisecond faster speed, an HDD because the virtual penis enlarging SSD has a few inadequacies in size, and the requested additional expansion space..."
  • 550W, 600W, 750W, 850W Power Supplies - Because all that penis enlarging, vaginal massaging, orgasm inducing, dress picking, boots putting on, miracle working, breakfast cooking, and mega-plus-pluses require a nuclear power plant...
  • Rewritable CD/DVD Drive - Oh hey, would you look at that? First non-overkill recommendation besides the memory...
  • Liquid & Air Cooling - Because in the event that attempting to inch out another virtual penis causes your virtual penis to run into a little trouble, contingency plans must be in place...
I naturally already have a 27" LED Monitor (1920x1080p) that I purchased for whatever computer I decided to buy. I also have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse but I know every computer company in the world will also "include" one with the computer.

Also, before any of you computer experts say it: no, I will not build my own. Why would I want to build my own when we have loyal Chinese, Mexican, and South American subjects throughout the world willing to build it for me?
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
Kaito
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
STO Handle: Kaito Kun@spydron

Re: Computer Experts: Recommendations for a New Computer

Post by Kaito »

Janeway wrote: Also, before any of you computer experts say it: no, I will not build my own......
Ok
Respectfully,

Rear Admiral Kaito
Federation Council
Security Chief

Alexraptor
Admiral
Admiral
STO Handle: @Alexraptor

Post by Alexraptor »

Janeway wrote: Also, before any of you computer experts say it: no, I will not build my own. Why would I want to build my own when we have loyal Chinese, Mexican, and South American subjects throughout the world willing to build it for me?
Well for one thing it is A LOT cheaper.
And for another you can build a system to your own exact specifications of exactly what you want.
And third, you actually end up having multiple warranties on all the different components, versus just "one" warranty for the entire system.
Which means if something like the graphics card breaks down you can RMA it without sending in the entire machine, and even use a cheap temporary or secondary graphics card to fall back on.

To sum it up, there are a whole lot of advantages to building your own system, assuming of course you have the skill and competence to do so.
Shroombuck
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Shroombuck »

Alexraptor wrote:lot of advantages to building your own system, assuming of course you have the skill and competence to do so.
Even I can do it so...
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

Alexraptor wrote:
Janeway wrote: Also, before any of you computer experts say it: no, I will not build my own. Why would I want to build my own when we have loyal Chinese, Mexican, and South American subjects throughout the world willing to build it for me?
Well for one thing it is A LOT cheaper.
Yes, instead of paying $2200 I'll pay $1900. The humanity! $300 could have fed a family in Africa for an entire year! I of course made up the aforementioned numbers but such an insignificant difference is not worth the required effort and time needed.
And for another you can build a system to your own exact specifications of exactly what you want.
While this is true you must also do the initial burn in, install the operating system, etc. Having a brand new computer to your exact specifications isn't worth it if one of your brand new parts fails the burn in and you have to send it back (1-14+ days depending on shipping and other circumstances), Having a computer not at one's exact specifications but tested beforehand is a fair trade-off.
And third, you actually end up having multiple warranties on all the different components, versus just "one" warranty for the entire system.
Meaning that you have to deal with everything that entails. Instead of one central number or one central place you can go to you have three, four, or five. You also have to roll the dice on whether or not the OEMs are decently responsible when it comes to RMA services. Some are. Some... not so much. Others are decent one day and horrible the next.
Which means if something like the graphics card breaks down you can RMA it without sending in the entire machine, and even use a cheap temporary or secondary graphics card to fall back on.
Only amateurs purchase a warranty that doesn't include one [two, or three] day onsite services. The only time a desktop ever needs to be sent back is when the entire system needs to be replaced.

To sum it up, there are a whole lot of advantages to building your own system, assuming of course you have the skill and competence to do so.
For every advantage there are two disadvantages.
The above should sum it up quite nicely.
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
Warfire
Senior Captain
Senior Captain
STO Handle: @LordWarfire

Post by Warfire »

I can only speak for the UK but SCAN Computers do a good range of "customised" standard builds. For our staff in the US I send them to Walmart with $900 and tell them not to come back until they find a spotty kid and ask them which one to buy. I also adore Dell so I guess I shouldn't be allowed to comment. Something with an ASUS, ACER or CompaQ badge probably won't be a rip off.
Janeway
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Janeway »

I had totally forgotten about this thread until I saw it pop up in the "New Posts" search. In any case, since I am here now I will share with you all what I believe will be the system that I will finally get. I however have not decided if I'm going to opt for dual graphics cards among a few other things.

In any case (red text are items I may change):
Configuration

Bitfenix Prodigy (White)
Exterior: Not Paint
Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your system.
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE (USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, WiFi)
ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems
Standard Case Fans
Overclocked Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2GHz - 4.7GHz LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor (6MB L3 Cache)
750 Watt Corsair TX750M PSU
Single 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 670
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz (2x4GB) Memory
Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
128GB Samsung 830 Series - Solid State Drive
1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
40 in 1 Media Card Reader
On Board Audio
Onboard Network Port
ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor
3 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
16GB ORIGIN Recovery USB Drive
3 Year Evolve Part Upgrade Service with Free Shipping
FREE Borderlands 2 Download w/Purchase of Nvidia Graphics Card
Possible Changes (as highlighted in red above):
Silverstone FT03
Single Radeon HD 7950/7970 or Dual GTX670/Radeon HD 7950/Radeon HD 7970
PSU: ~600 Watts (if I don't get dual GPUs)
Windows 7 Ultimate (if Windows 8 really is that bad)
Opinions?
Signed,
Captain Janeway
Federation Senate
Federation Command
ademaya
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
STO Handle: ademaya@FC_ademaya

Post by ademaya »

Dell used to do wonders, but with their sucess, they have turned to terrible practices making computers, not testing them properly prior to seling them, and customer service has tanked dramatically( to save them tons of money). Asus I hear is still a good company to go through and I believe you can customise things to the way you want. However, unless you get a mac (I cant believe as a PC IT technition I am saying this), building your own computer is best (only of you do research to see which parts are compatible with each component).
MSN= ademaya@live.com STO Handle= ademaya@FC_ademaya